Flocabulary is an excellent educational platform we discovered through Graphite. Flocabulary provides teachers with a digital library of educational music videos (hip-hop songs) to use in class to engage and inspire their k-12 students. Flocabulary has nearly 600 units in all subjects for grades K-12. All ELA, vocabulary, and math units are aligned to Common Core State Standards.
As a teacher you can use Flocabulary videos for a variety of instructional purposes that include introduction, enrichment, differentiated instruction and test prep. Most of the music videos included in this site are accompanied with a variety of materials such as song lyrics, online activities, and exercises.
Here is a quick tour of Flocabulary lesson sequence:
- Flocabulary presents academic content in a highly-engaging, contemporary format. Videos let the topic speak for itself, providing students with both visual and aural exposure.
- Each video includes additional resources to review and enrich: Use challenge questions for a quick formative assessment. Learn more while building literacy skills with interactive lyrics. And review key terms with fill in the blanks. You can also print activities and tests to formally assess student learning.
- Now it's time for students to write. Students can write their own rhymes, and even perform them over beats. Additionally, you can extend any lesson with Common Core-aligned writing activities, lessons and games.
Drawp for School is an excellent creativity and collaboration tool for teachers and students. It provides students with an intuitive blank canvas and a variety of drawing and painting tools to use for visualizing thoughts and for creating rich mixed media content. Students can collaboratively work on a drawing, add sticky notes, text, or even record audio clips and share them with teachers who, in their part, can provide feedback in the form of comments.
Drawp for School allows teachers to create classes and automatically add students. Once connected, teachers can create and share assignments and seamlessly manage their classes across different devices. Some other features provided by Drawp for School include:
- Powerful creation tools: drawing, painting, photos, text and voice stickers.
- SimpleShare™ technology: swipe to share and collaborate
- Protects privacy: COPPA compliant and has the TRUSTe seal of approval
- Unlimited storage in the Drawp cloud; compatible with Dropbox and Google Drive
- Safe and secure: no email or in-app purchases.
- Eases teacher workload: Drawp automatically collects, organizes and stores assignments
- Common Core aligned tips and collaboration tools
- Expedites teacher/parent communication
- Easy: Ideal tool for K-8 students
CamScanner is an excellent document scanning and sharing app. It allows you to instantly scan any type of text or graphic and save or share them with others. Using your phone or tablet camera, you can take a photo and CamScanner will automatically enhance the scanned results so you can easily email, print, fax or share them in PDF or PNG format.
Using the integrated OCR feature, CamScanner allows you to scan an image or PDF making all the text captured editable and searchable. You can use text and OCR to quickly find the document that you want. You can also invite colleagues and friends to view or provide feedback and comments on your scanned docs in a group.
Other features provided by CamScanner include:
- Smart cropping and auto enhancing make the texts and graphics look clear and sharp.
- By entering any keyword, you’ll see a list of docs with the word in their titles, notes or images.
- Extracts texts inside single page for further editing or .txt sharing.
- Easily share docs in PDF or JPEG format with others via social media, email attachment or sending the doc link.
- Instantly print out docs in CamScanner with nearby printer; directly fax docs to over 30 countries right from the app.
- Making annotations or adding customized watermark on docs are made available for you.
- Set passcode for viewing important docs; meanwhile, when sending doc link, you can set password to protect it.
CamScanner is available for both Android and iOS devices. CamScanner provides a free basic account with very limited features. Premium accounts ($4,99/month, $49,99/year) has more advanced features. Watch this video to learn more about CamScanner.
TinyTap is an excellent app that allows kids and students to easily create fun educational games and share them with others. TinyTap provides a great way for kids to develop their creative thinking and problem solving skills while engaging in creating and playing interactive games.
Some of the features TinyTap provides for users include:
- Graphics are enhanced to suit new iPad retina display
- Option to add own images, use iPad-shot pictures or use images from a web search
- Record your own voice over photos so your little ones can always hear a familiar voice
- Record a question, an answer and a hint for a rich, interactive user experience
- Personalize games with a selection of 20 different soundtracks
- Track a child’s progress using the in-game scoring system
- Intuitively simple interface – easy for any to create and play games
- Easy to share newly created games with friends and family
- Personalize pre-made games from the TinyTap store with narration and images.
Geddit is a great web tool that allows teachers to check on their students understanding in real-time. Geddit is a powerful response system ideal for inclusion in your classroom. Students can easily share with teachers feedback about the lessons being taught. All responses are recorded instantly so teachers can identify individual needs as they emerge.
Geddit also provides a set of quizzing features to help teachers with their formative assessments. These include multiple choice questions and short answer responses. Here is how to start using Geddit:
- Simply run Geddit during the lesson and start collecting real-time, emotive student feedback as they participate in your lesson.
- Ask your students to check-in through Geddit, they usually make around 5 check-ins per lesson.
- You'll see the confidence of every student is color coded on the teacher screen. This information is private, students can not see their peers' confidence. Students who select just one bar appear red on your screen, three bars appear green, and students who've selected all five bars are highlighted in blue.